Use these Realtor time blocking templates and tracking systems to help structure your day for more income-producing activities that generate more clients!
If you’re a Realtor, time blocking is essential. (Arguably, it’s essential for most professional businesses.) Today, we are going to show you one of the keys to success in the real estate industry, and it’s simpler than you may think. Success follows clues, so let’s look at how the top producers use their calendar and time block.
VIDEO: Realtor Time Blocking Templates
Realtor time blocking: keep your marketing department open
Spring and summer are the “harvest season” for real estate. This is the crazy, busy time of year where many Realtors are losing their mind a little bit. You may find that you have so much business that you have no time to do anything but juggle your existing clients through showings, contracts, and closings.
This harvest season period causes many Realtors to “shut down” their marketing department. They aren’t actively generating new business anymore. They can only manage to keep their head above water with the clients they have right now. This is a critical error.
How can you prevent this issue? Don’t focus 100% of your time on customer service. As a Realtor, time blocking will save you from this. You must make the time to continuously generate business. Yes, even when you are busy during the harvest season. This is what separates the top producers from the wannabes.
Get off the real estate roller coaster
Realtor time blocking will help you get off the intense real estate roller coaster. Going from dry periods where you have no business to intense seasons where you can barely handle the amount of business you have is just frankly unhealthy.
There is no balance in this lifestyle! “Well, real estate is seasonal. This is just the way it is.” This is not the mentality of a top producer. If you can find a way to time block to ensure that you always have time dedicated to pipelining future business, you won’t suffer these crazy highs and lows.
Implementing time management and tracking systems will get you off the real estate roller coaster. Realtor time blocking can get you moving in the right direction.
How to implement Realtor time blocking and achieve a top producer’s mentality
- Self awareness is key. Understand that doing lead generation activities will not come naturally. Nobody enjoys lead generation activities. It’s not easy or fun. Realtors who dominate the market where you live are simply better at time management than you.
- You don’t have to like the activities. You do have to like the results. Get uncomfortable and motivate yourself to do what you need to do to succeed.
- Hold the judgement. Be careful not to judge or assess whether or not you like an activity until you become proficient at it enough to get results.
Customer service department vs marketing department
Like any business, you have a customer service department and a marketing department. The customer service department services existing clients and the marketing department generates new clients.
If your marketing department is “shut down,” you are not performing business generating activities. Business generation activities need to be your focus!
Realtor time blocking will ensure that your focus is on the right activities.
How much time to devote to business generating activities per day?
At ICC, we advise a minimum of two hours a day devoted to business generating activities. That’s a total of 10 hours per week. As a Realtor, time blocking for these activities is best done in the morning, before you begin to service your existing clients.
You might be thinking, “I don’t have time each morning for that! I’m so busy!” Let’s say you’re a normal person with a 40-hour workweek. Dedicate 25% of your weekly hours toward your goals. The other 75% will be devoted to customer service.
Can you imagine any other successful business that dedicates 75% of their time to customer service and only 25% to sales? There aren’t many. Most successful businesses dedicate far more of their time to generating more sales. All I’m asking for is 25% of your time. Very few Realtors understand this. Very few Realtors know that time blocking a mere 25% of their time to lead generation will make all the difference.
You can’t do it on your own
Successful, top-producing real estate agents know they can’t do it on their own. They are self aware that they need accountability to stick to their calendar. That’s why a lot of Realtors quit and opt for the standard 9-5 job. They need guidance and accountability.
FREE DOWNLOAD: Daily Schedule for Realtors
Curious about what a day in the life of a top-producing Realtor looks like? Today we are giving you a FREE download of our Daily Schedule for Realtors. You’ll see that it looks simple. It’s true — anyone can time block! The key is sticking to it. Make the time and keep the time. Then, you’ll see the results.
Realtor time blocking tip: Lead generation happens in the morning
Here’s a huge Realtor time blocking tip. Your lead generation activities (for your marketing department) need to happen in the morning. Here’s why.
- You are less likely to get interrupted or sidetracked
- Your mind is fresh after a good night’s sleep
- You can address business servicing (your customer service department) later in the morning
- “Urgent” matters can be addressed with a quick “in an appointment — I’ll call you back at 11am” text
- Your lead generation activities are a priority, so put them first in your day
Top 3 things that every Realtor should be time blocking for
Your calendar is not just for appointments with other people! It’s also for appointments with yourself! This is absolutely key to successful Realtor time blocking. Protect your important activities. These are the three things you must protect on your daily schedule through time blocking.
- Lead generation time
- Lead follow-up and conversion time
- Time with your family
Get rid of To-Do Lists
Here’s another huge tip. Get rid of your to-do lists. They will let you down, time and time again. Take your lists and put them into your calendar. Assign a time to each list item, and they are more likely to happen. This is Realtor time blocking 101. You must make these appointments with yourself.
Fiercely protect your time. Honor your time blocks.
Remember the rule of balance and counterbalance. You’ll have busy weeks where you need to burn the midnight oil. You might miss out on a few family commitments. Just make sure you counterbalance and take the next weekend off. Plan a getaway with your family.
Realtor time blocking: Erase and replace concept
Just as you will have busy weeks now and then, you will have crazy days. Emergencies will come up. Your kid will be home sick from school so you can’t do your lead generation activities for the day. You can “erase and replace” by moving those lead generation hours to next week.
That might mean that next Tuesday, you do four hours of lead generation in the morning instead of your usual two. This ensures that no lead generation time is sacrificed, and your time at home with your sick child isn’t negatively affecting your business. You should never feel that you have to sacrifice one thing for another. Simply erase and replace.
Want to learn more?
- Read The High-Performing Real Estate Team. You can buy Brian Icenhower’s best-selling book on Amazon.
- Subscribe to The Real Estate Trainer Podcast. You can find it on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Podbean, and anywhere you listen to your favorite podcasts.
- Join the Real Estate Agent Round Table. We are always posting fresh content, including market updates, free templates, and host dynamic discussions with the industry’s top producers.
- Subscribe to our newsletter. In the sidebar of this blog, you’ll see a subscription form to complete You’ll be the first to find out about our new resources, free downloads, premium online courses, as well as promotions.
- Reach out and talk to an ICC coach. Not sure which one of our coaching programs is right for you? Let us help you.