Educate your clients by using these helpful scripts for FSBO sellers and demonstrate why using a Realtor is in their own best interest.

Learn these helpful scripts for FSBO (for sale by owner) sellers so that when you speak to a client thinking of going FSBO, you know exactly what to say. Ultimately, you can come from a place of sharing helpful facts with them to inform their decision-making process. Keep reading to learn the best scripts and strategies to use during this hot low-inventory market!

VIDEO: Scripts for FSBO Sellers

FSBOs are on the rise

Just as we did during the housing boom of 2004/2005, we are going to see a rise in FSBO (for sale by owner) homes. The FSBO season is here. This is typically what happens when it gets “easy” to sell a home. Demand is so high, supply is so low, interest rates are low, and the public thinks, “What if I just sell my home myself and save paying a Realtor commission?” In my opinion, this seller attitude is the most annoying thing about this market. In this FSBO market we now find ourselves in, you’ll want scripts for FSBO sellers. Because it’s not a matter of “if” you run into one — it’s when.

I’m not sure if you’ve noticed, but it’s become public knowledge that the real estate market is hot. On popular morning shows across the United States, they are talking about the “red hot real estate market”. This means everyone is hearing it, which in turn means more people will decide they want to sell. This will cause the market to heat up even more! And, many of these sellers will get arrogant and think they can go the FSBO route to save themselves money.

The FSBO battle: use these scripts for FSBO sellers

How do you talk to someone who has decided to go the FSBO route? We have some great scripts for FSBO sellers and ideas you can use as you navigate those conversations.

  • I’d like to warn you about the dangers of going FSBO. (Then share a story of how a FSBO turned into a disaster. Several examples are included in the video within this blog.)
  • Just so you know, 98% of FSBO listings sell for 30% less than homes sold by a Realtor. My small commission percentage is not a factor because I’m still going to get you more than what you would get on your own.
  • 90% of all home buyers use a Realtor. The remaining 10% is divided between builders and developers, and a tiny percentage of that left over segment is FSBOs. When you list with an Realtor, there is a 90% chance (at least) that the buyer is going to come from another Realtor. So, we as agents are actually marketing to other agents more than the general public. If you are going to list it FSBO, you won’t have the ability to market to other agents. When agents look for homes for their clients, they look in the MLS. FSBOs, therefore, get overlooked and get far less exposure and ultimately, less (and lower) offers.
  • As a Realtor, I have a duty to advise all of my buyers of the dangers of making offers on FSBO homes. If you list as a FSBO, you are deterring most interested buyers from checking out your home. This is a big reason why FSBO homes sell for 30% less than homes listed with an agent.
  • FSBOs leave you more susceptible to scammers. Your security and safety is the most important, and through working with a licensed Realtor, you will be more protected.

Infographic to share: Why Sellers Don’t FSBO

We’ve shared a few scripts for FSBO sellers, and here are some great graphics to support them. Share this infographic below on social media, or send to your sellers who are thinking about going FSBO! There are some great talking points that can be made while referencing these graphics, and sometimes showing is better than just telling.

scripts for fsbo

Learn more about how to fight the FSBO

Here are several more articles that you may find helpful as you confront FSBO sellers.

If you’re looking for more personalized help and one-on-one help, reach out! Get an ICC coach in your corner. Request a free consultation call today.

Stay up to date on what's happening in our industry and join our Facebook group, the Real Estate Agent Round Table for free, relevant content daily, including breaking news on the real estate market and the Coronavirus crisis.
Stay up to date on what’s happening in our industry and join our Facebook group, the Real Estate Agent Round Table for free, relevant content daily, including breaking news on the real estate market.

Check out our latest posts: